Immigration Crisis in Pictures, Families With Kids Is One of the Biggest Problems – MishTalk

[ad_1]

It’s much harder for the US to deport people from countries other than Mexico and families with children. Increasingly, both conditions are in place.

The Wall Street Journal has an excellent report on immigration. This is a free link to Illegal Immigration Is a Bigger Problem Than Ever. These Five Charts Explain Why.

The record numbers of people entering the country illegally aren’t the only reason border communities are struggling in Texas and shelters are full as far away as Massachusetts. In the past, most migrants were single adults from Mexico looking for work. If caught by the Border Patrol, they could easily and quickly be deported.

Now, a fast-growing share are families with children, who are difficult to deport to their home countries. The change started around 2014 and has exploded in the past two years.

Smugglers encourage adults to travel with children, telling them they are likely to be quickly released into the U.S. because the Border Patrol doesn’t have the capacity to hold families for more than a day or two. Once released, they can wait years for their cases to be processed in clogged immigration courts.

Illegal Border Encounters by Country

When deportations are difficult

Managing large numbers of illegal border crossings is tougher when migrants can’t be easily deported.

Because Mexico and the U.S. share a border and have long had strong relations, deporting migrants from that country is relatively easy.

Recently, a large number of people are coming from countries that have strained ties with the U.S., making deportations difficult or impossible. Since 2022, for instance, more than 715,000 Cubans and Venezuelans illegally crossed the U.S.-Mexico border, fleeing political repression and economic distress.

A Global Problem

Migration to the U.S. is becoming increasingly global, with more asylum seekers from as far away as India, Uzbekistan and Mauritania making their way to Mexico and then crossing into the U.S.

The expanding roster of starting points is making it more difficult for the U.S. government to devise a comprehensive migration strategy. The reasons people are leaving their countries differ vastly from nation to nation. The U.S. must also negotiate more diplomatic arrangements to ensure foreigners can be deported.

Researchers and officials say that so long as demand for low-skilled labor remains high in the U.S. and political, economic and environmental distress keep pushing people to leave troubled countries, the numbers of people willing to do whatever it takes to cross the border will remain high.

There are five charts in the article, I posted two of them with thanks to the Journal.

The Immigration Math

Judging from the chart by country, roughly two-thirds (67 percent) of illegal immigrants are from countries where deportation is difficult, with the remaining 33 percent from Mexico.

Assuming that family immigration applies to Mexico as well, another 50 percent of the 33 percent from Mexico (say 16 percent of the total) are not deported because they have kids.

67 percent from non-Mexico plus 16 percent from Mexico with kids means 83 percent of those who crossed and turn themselves into border police are released, free to travel wherever.

Border agents made 2 million arrests in the year ending September. It’s the second consecutive year topping 2 million.

Of the 17 percent deported, if indeed the number really is that high, I suspect roughly 100 percent of them try again.

Effectively, the US has no Southern border.

None of this was a viewed as a problem until sanctuary states like New York and Illinois started complaining.

Related Articles

After having rolled out the welcome mat, New York City Mayor Eric Adams now tells illegal immigrants to look elsewhere.

What a mess.

[ad_2]

Source link

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*